Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Easter weekend already!

I’m having a lovely Easter weekend – & the sun has been shining too!

Mindful both of how neat neighbour John’s neat plot is, and that there is something call Plot Inspection at the Hill, I set out yesterday with the hoe to deal with all the little chickweed seedlings which haven’t go the message yet!

Once the plot looked spruce & tidy, I put in another row of POTATOES (cara) & sowed a short row of TURNIP (snowball).

My Project of the Week was to build something with netting for the peas to climb up – and a couple of inherited metal angle lengths, string & netting later I had a really unsatisfactory Heath Robinson affair. I rejigged the structure, added an extra middle ‘prop’ & with the aid of some netting pegs (Wilko, 99p) it all looks…..well, better.

When I came back I sowed a pot of runner beans for Mum, & today I’ve sowed a couple of tomato seeds of each of four varieties for her too. I’ve sowed up a trough with FRENCH BEANS (safari) & CUCUMBER (marketmore) to plant out at the Hill in due course.

When I went back to the Hill this evening, I sowed a short row of RADISH (Mirabeau) & LETTUCE (little gem) & watered everything in sight – including me, actually.

The seeds at home are all coming on - just the CELERY (golden self-blanching) yet to sprout, & at the Hill, the SPINACH (hector F1) is definitely coming through, & I was delighted to see some of the CARROTS (early nantes) sown four weeks ago, & the RADISH (Mirabeau) which E put in 2 weeks ago are showing their little seed leaves!

What a great day!

1 comment:

  1. What a great day indeed. Well done.

    You are so organised.

    As I said somewhere else I will be back with the plot on Thursday. I think I'll take the tent down there I love my patch of clay so much.

    Have a great week back at work!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...