Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Friday, April 06, 2007

April is blossoming out all over!

It’s been a thoroughly gorgeous sunny week – I’ve been looking though the window here & enjoying watching the blossom come out on the plum tree.

I’ve been up to the Hill a couple of times for a bit of ‘communing with nature’ (& seeing possibly parsnips seeds coming up, & possibly spinach seeds come up – but then again they could be weeds), I’ve also been busy at home with seeds & seedlings. The TOMATO (balconi yellow) are all coming through along with the BRUSSELS SPROUTS (bedford fillbasket), & at the Hill there’s a significant showing of green sprouts on the ONION SETS (sturon).

I took Mum over to the Hill today – I thought that I was showing her the marvels of Mother Nature in action, & she thought she was scrumping some rhubarb. I wouldn’t let her get to the rhubarb before she’d make the correct ‘I’m so impressed’ noises at the rows where we’ve seeds sown – although to be fair, it would be rather more impressive if there were a few more seedlings on display.

Neighbour John was being neat about his neat plot …& – knock me over with a feather – he was FRYING A PAN OF BACON!! How cool is that! Mental note to put primus stove on shopping list – he was lucky it wasn’t wrestled from his grip, it smelled so good!

I’m due to plant another row of potatoes tomorrow, & I have a list of other seeds that can go in – my difficulties at the beginning of the year with getting to grips with Planning are gradually resolving themselves – as long as I have some time at the beginning of each month surrounded by plan of plot, sowing calendar, this months ‘jobs’ from the magazine & Seymour’s Self Sufficiency open at the pertinent page, I can just about juggle it all.

Mind you, I still haven’t got quite to grips with sow indoors/outdoors under cloches/outdoor/successional sowings, but it’ll be easier next year, I guess. Possibly!

2 comments:

  1. Haze

    I know what you mean. You put in so much effort, and enthuse about it only for people to be totally underwhelmed...it's very frustrating. I guess we have to be content with our own contentment.

    It all looks great to me. I am sure you are in for a bumper year. I wonder where that phrase comes from.

    Thake care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...