Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Moon planting!

A beautiful Spring morning yesterday at the Hill – it’s been lovely this week especially out of the chilly wind – a perfect day for sowing!

There weren’t many about – perhaps as I was a bit later down than normal – and Jane, S & E arrived just as I had prepared the PEA (early onward) row for re-sowing. E & I had a lovely time also putting short rows of LETTUCE (little gem) & RADISH (mirabeau) in Plot B along with short rows of CARROT (early nantes) & BEETROOT (woden f1) in Plot C.

Meanwhile, Jane & S put up and tied the bean poles in Plot A – with the aid of a string line, but thinking about it, although the string line will have eliminated the pronounced kink from the row, there’s nothing to say that it is perpendicular at all!

Jane’s agreed that a double 20’ row of runner beans might be overkill, so we’ll put half to climbing French beans – good heavy croppers, store well in the freezer & MUCH LESS preparation in the kitchen than runners!

I hoed the garlic & E picked up all the weeds, then S & I emptied all the bags of horse manure into the skip, thus doing our good deed for the day, before retiring to the Club for well deserved lunch of cheese rolls and orange juice.

At home later on I sowed some BRUSSELS SPROUTS (bedford fillbasket) in jiffys, & can report that both the LEEKS (mrs d) & the COURGETTE (black beauty) are showing their heads!

I took big sister Helen to the Hill today – & she pointed out that the PARSNIP (white gem) is sprouting – although they just looked like any other weed seedling to me so I’ll reserve judgement for now. If she's right, I'll be delighted as these are supposed to be a bit tricksy!

Later on I went back to plant a row of POTATOES (cara) as it is the full moon. I told Jane about the idea of lunar planting, & for one fleeting moment she thought that I was proposing to plant BY moonlight! She also made some mock of the idea, with a number of choice comments which I won’t go into here, but we shall see – anything that works is my motto. I’ll plant another row next weekend, & one at the new moon, & then at least we’ll know if it’s all a load of old tosh or not!

4 comments:

  1. Great progress Haze,

    You are right, there is something miraculous about germination. I'll just be glad when I see it on my own patch. I'm sure I will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have listened to your encouragement and have taken action...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That wine last night was lovely. Will finish it tonight whilst willing my seedlings to germinate. Is there a germination dance you could teach me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check mail...

    Raised a glass to you tonight. Wel;lington Arms, central Hull. Dom pop over sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...