Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

No crying, now!

I went to the Hill yesterday for a couple of hours of weeding, & to pull up the smaller onions which will hopefully give the rest a bit more room to grow! I'm not expecting the ones that I've pulled up to keep (even if the others do, eelworm not withstanding) so I'll be having a merry chop-and-freeze session later!

Given that it's still pretty wet, and the temperatures are on the low side for June, everything seems to be looking reasonably good. The weeds don't seem to mind, anyway!

In fact the weeding is very much like the painting the Forth Road Bridge - a never ending task - & I wonder if at least part of our extensive weed problem is from the plot having gone to seed last year? We seem to have far more weeds than anyone else - but perhaps all the other plotholders are all fiendishly hoeing during the day....I'll have to sneak down to check!

Along with the onions, I picked some LETTUCE (mixed), RADISH (cherrybelle), PEAS (kelvedon wonder), POTATOES (rocket) & BROAD BEANS (aguadulce). The broad beans are definitely on the way out - perhaps a last picking at the weekend - & although they have been great (they've been cropping for nearly 6 weeks) I shan't be sorry to chop them all down & return to some sort of order!

It's lovely in the evenings at the Hill - I generally have the place to myself, and this time of year the swallows are zooming round & the blackbirds singing their hearts out, & with a bit of late sunshine it's just about perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...