Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Friday, July 13, 2007

Plenty for the pot!

I have spent many happy hours this week at the Hill, because it has been dry all week! Not a lot of sunshine, but – hey – let’s not jump the gun here!

When I went down on Saturday, I had a lot of company including Barry (on his own this week) & Reg-next-plot. I was quite surprised to see Reg sporting a pair of ipod earphones – although he doesn’t seem to have grasped the volume control. He spent a good couple of hours shouting at everyone without realising.

If I heard him tell various allotment holders about his recent coach holiday in France once, I must have heard it 4 times – starting with Chrissy about 5 plots up, & working his way back down.

Indomitable Fran arrived with Alan – Fran on a stick after her recent knee replacement op, but she still managed to sit on a bucket & prune & strip their redcurrant bushes whilst dispensing her nuggets of advice. It was soon apparent that David-other-half – having been on holiday himself – had not heard about neat neighbour John, so there were further commiserations all round on that score.

Barry & Reg-next-plot dug some of neat neighbour John’s potatoes for his wife, & there was protracted discussion about which ones were the earlies – I still think that he would have planted the rows in order of when he wanted to dig them up…

I planted out the swede seedlings in plot A where I’d lifted some turnips a while ago, & picked & picked & picked the peas! Also the gooseberries, & I did a great deal of weeding (but not enough in the misc. plot B!)

In the week I got to tackling making a ‘tent’ for a late sowing of peas – & very pleased with it I am too – I used some of the heavy duty plastic square netting that Barry’s young charge, Jody gave me – & the 6’ canes I bought half price from Wilko, & string & topped it off with coloured ball cane protectors.

I sowed some PEAS (kelvedon wonder), & on the rhubarb side a couple of rows of BEANS (black turtle) & on the other a row of BEANS (sungold).

I must say that the cabbages are looking good in the cage, & although the courgette here at home is sloooooow, the Prize Pumpkin is looking fab – the first pumpkin is now the size of a grapefruit!

With the foliage dying down on the POTATOES (rocket) it’s been high time that they came up, so I over a the course of a couple of evenings I had all of them up, dried overnight on the bench at home, then squirreled away in a hessian sack in the garage where it is dark. Weighing the sack, there are about 20kg of spuds there – & acres of second earlies & main crop still to come – a reassessment of sowing quantities needed for next year, perhaps?

With salad picked tonight – & peas, of course – there’s plenty of home veg for the dinner table at the moment, the next challenge is successful storing – pea pickle, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...