Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Parsnips a-plenty!

I’ve got a bone to pick with the BBC weather forecasters – we battled away at the Hill yesterday in the cold rain, & yet today has been just beautiful, despite being billed as rainy too. We weren’t the only ones fooled – when I got to the Hill yesterday, Novice Neighbour Jody, David-other-half & Indomitable Fran & Alan were all busy on their plots.

Fran was finishing off planting their potatoes – which meant I was happier putting the rest of ours in. I thought we might be a week or two early, but if Fran isn’t worried about late frosts, then nor am I.

When Jane arrived, she dug up the remaining PARSNIPS (white gem & gladiator) – which have had to come out in order for us to put the rest of the potatoes in – & the rest of the BEETROOT (red ace). We had a HUGE parsnip pile which we’ve split between us, & I’ve peeled, chopped & frozen some of them.

Once the POTATOES (picasso & pentland dell) were in, the finishing touch was to put a layer of strawy manure on the part of the bed which we hadn’t managed to do before because the parsnips were in the way.

Meanwhile, Jane planted out 8 little pots of SWISS CHARD (bright lights) that I’d brought with me which have been growing away in the mini greenhouse, & we also planted out a final row of PEAS (kelvedon wonder). There’s about 4’ at the end of the pea rows – still partly occupied by the spring cabbage – but I’ve ear-marked that for some dwarf beans.

We’ve had a re-think on the idea of wigwams at the front of the plot for the climbing beans & peas – it looks as if that would be quite wasteful on space, so I think that short rows of poles will be better.

We pulled up the last of the SUMMER CABBAGE (primo II) as they were bolting – the tops in a stir fry last night were delicious – & also the KALE (alice) is starting to bolt so we pulled the plants up & split them between us. We took a SPRING CABBAGE home each too – they don’t seem terribly ‘hearty’ – perhaps they need another week or two.

The rhubarb row between our plot & David-other-half is growing well – miles ahead of anyone else’s, actually – so I picked an armful, some of which I dropped off at mum’s, & the rest I’ve chopped up for making wine with.

At home, I pricked out the LETTUCE (little gem) & eight more CAULIFLOWER (all the year round) into individual 2” pots & I also sowed 4 pots with LETTUCE (webbs wonderful).

To use the beetroot, I made a couple of jars of chutney, & then I bottled the celery wine. Rather worryingly, although it looks great, first tastes are not hugely promising – ‘paint’ & ‘stripper’ are two words which spring to mind, but maybe it will mellow into something rather more palatable…

7 comments:

  1. Hi Hazel, was just wondering if you fancied a bit of a seed swoppin session?
    Ive got a box load of fancy seeds at the mo, loads of diff toms n peppers, courgettes etc (the list goes on!).
    Im still after a few bits tho and rather buy anymore I thought I see if anyone was in the same position.
    No worries if not but if you are interested then let me know!

    Nice looking wine by the way!

    jody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jody - would love to have a look at your seeds! I've all sorts of bits and bobs left over too, so I'll try to remember to bring the seed box to the Hill on Sat morning if you're around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gr8!
    will be there saturday morning from around 10 but will be leaving around 12 if thats any use.

    hopefully see you saturday!

    jody

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hazel,

    Back in the land of the living after a huge crisis which is over now for good. I've lots of new veggie news. Visit...

    http://johntygreentoes.blogspot.com/

    Johnty x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you done a runner? Was it something we said or have you had enough of vegtables!!!???

    No sign of you on the plot or updating your blog, either your spending far to much time working, far to much time studying or your out partying, which is it?

    Hope yr well
    jody

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheek! I've been studying hard, I'll have you know!

    Now back to weeding and an overdue blog update this weekend!

    BTW, do you want some Dwarf French Bean seed - they're fairly boring Tendergreen, but I've plenty if you want some.

    See you Sat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Posh looking wine Haze! Got yerself sozzled on it yet?

    By the way, I've tagged you (see my blog), no idea what it means, just seemed like harmless fun.

    Been absent from the vine too, hope life's treating you well?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...