Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, July 20, 2008

So a shallot is not an onion, then?

My lack of self discipline means that any ‘quick nip’ to the Hill means an hour or more communing with nature, but when it’s such a gorgeous sunny evening as it was tonight, I really enjoy it.

The plan was to pick some of the PEAS which are more than ready – then I could spend the evening podding & freezing – but in the event, there weren’t enough to bother putting in the freezer (yum yum!). There were plenty of BROAD BEANS though, so I’ve frozen them instead.

Of course I am always sidetracked by the weeding – where do they all come from?

I dug up a POTATO (orla) for tea - & enough for the rest of the week, I think - & also the SHALLOTS (hative de niorte). I almost didn’t bother with shallots as I didn’t really see the difference between them & onions – in fact I wouldn’t have grown them but for the ever generous David & Kaz in Evington who kindly gave us some when we met up with them at the Malvern Show in autumn.

Well, I’m very glad that we did – I stuck a few in with the chicken for tea, & they are beautifully sweet & juicy - totally different to onions! Live & learn, eh – & well worth saving a dozen for planting next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...