Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Preparations mk II

So, I’ve handed in the entry form for the Show tomorrow & I will be entering a grand total of 16 classes…

I went to the Hill in the pouring rain this morning & was very pleased to see Reg-next-plot who was able to advise me on how to present my onions, & to generally give my confidence a bit of a boost!

I got absolutely drenched as I replaced the netting with a 4m wide piece that I bought from the allotment shop – much better – & headed off home with onions to prepare, along with a couple of lettuce, & a bunch of carrots. Bit of a pity that I didn’t wash the carrot which revealed carrot fly damage BEFORE I entered them on the form – all I can say is that they are an improvement on last year's effort. A bit.

The afternoon has been spent with the ‘chosen few’ veg of each sort which I think make the grade, washing, trimming, tying up, & generally beautifying them ready for their big day tomorrow!

Along with the fruit cake that I cooked a couple of weeks ago which has been ‘maturing’, I have a marble cake in the oven at this very moment. I have taken the precaution of making the cake at the last minute in order to avoid the trap I fell into last year of making another, & another, & another in an attempt to improve. Fat lot of good that did – I came third out of three, & have had marble cake clogging up the freezer for the last 12 months – & that’s after giving slices of it away to everyone from my accountant to the Avon lady.

I have the coleus potted up, a pot of beetroot pickle ready to join the party – & I’m just about to go back & pick some beans, pull 3 sticks of rhubarb & sort out half a dozen spring onions, then it’s radish tomorrow & that’s about your lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...