Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Castle Carrot!

I love these lighter evenings! It means that I can get the ol’ bike out & have an hour communing with the plot. Of course there isn’t an awful lot to actually do, but I don’t let a trifle like that stop me.

One thing that I must do is work out a way of taking seedlings to the Hill in the bicycle basket without the carnage that I had this evening – let’s just say that when the four CABBAGE (kilaxy f1) seedlings were planted out they were rendered extremely bare rooted by the trauma of the journey.

Once I’d planted them out, & turfed out some dandelions from around the fruit bushes, I sowed a row of CARROT (hsl manchester table) & erected what I very much hope is a carrot-fly proof enclosure for them. Bit worried about the fact that I keep getting outsmarted by an insect, frankly.

Perhaps it will be third year lucky?

5 comments:

  1. Don't get caught out with these light evenings as we did today.

    The scene at 5.30: Himself finishes work and we agree to "do a little bit" in the garden. Finish a cuppa, get changed, get outside at 6.00.

    The scene at 7.45: neither of us realised how late it had got, supper not even started, Herself with a very wobbly attack of the low blood sugars.

    Not to be recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! With you there, Bilbo - had to cycle home at 7.45pm tonight on the pavements, as this was a safer option in the rather advanced dusk!

    Look forward to your blog update.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your wish is my command, Ma'am. But it's not very exciting!

    (I think we need to get you a bicycle light)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll be pleased to hear that I am now the proud owner of a hi-vis jacket and startlingly bright bicycle lights, Bilbo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very glad to hear it, can't have you getting run down after dark!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...