Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Storms, Spring Flowers & Setbacks

Having been so stormy last night that I had to run down in my nightie at 1am to move the broad beans pots from the wall as they were in danger of being blown off, today was sunny & warm.

A different disaster befell the achocha seedlings, however – they have been in the mini greenhouse & had seed leaves like two huge ears, but today I found that the slugs have taken a liking to them, & I was greeted with two sad green stalks. I re-sowed & will have to rethink my slug deterrents when they germinate.

Everything was looking good at the Hill this evening – I planted out half a dozen BRUSSELS SPROUTS (falstaff), then put some weed suppressant fabric down & went to the park for more bark chippings to lay on neighbour Ted’s side of the plot, & for the path between beds a2 & b1, so it’s all shaping up rather nicely.

Julie (2nd best plot) & son K arrived to do some watering in her greenhouse, & soon came down with a big bunch of tulips for me – how kind of her, & they are so beautiful! I’m only just thinking in terms of flowers for the front of the plot, so I’m a way away from growing cutting flowers for a while yet.

Maybe I’ll be able to cut some of our daffodils next year – they have somewhat short stems, but I guess that they are doing well to flower at all given they were bought in the ‘bargain bin’ at the end of autumn & then spent a couple of months knocking about in the back of the car as I forgot all about them.

Generally fairly resilient, nature, I suppose – except in the face of slugs, perhaps...

3 comments:

  1. Don't fret about your achochas Hazel. I haven't sown mine yet so your second sowing will be fine. I found they grew quite rampantly last year - I'm hanging fire till the end of the month for them. I'll beware of slugs though, in the light of your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bl**dy slugs. Good to hear from Flummery that a second sowing will be OK. Flowers around your plot will be lovely - your own Nectar Bar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Live and learn, eh? I've put a few slug pellets in the mini greenhouse - although when the achochas are planting out they'll have to fend for themselves.

    Nectar bar is right, Bilbo - have just got to work out which plants are most attractive to the good guys!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...