Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Pea Frame Problems

I was going to call this post 'Things That I'll do Differently Next Year', however if I was to do that, every second post would have the same title!

I only nipped to the Hill this evening to pick a lettuce, but saw that the peas needed some attention – not only did some of them need encouraging up the strings properly, but some of the strings were going slack and wafting around.

A closer inspection revealed that some of the strings have snapped at the soil – & although I initially thought that it was the pigeons to blame pecking the string, I now think that it's the dampness of the soil rotting through the sisal.

I've thought of two things that I might try next year – I could use netting from the top of the frame fixed with either pegs or a cane trapping the bottom edge by the soil; or I could peg down string in the same fashion as this year, but use non-rot twine instead of sisal.

Plenty of time to mull this one over.

3 comments:

  1. I use twine Hazel. It does mean that you have untangling problems at the end though. I've also found that the compostable stuff gets shredded a little at a time by birds who fancy a cosy nest lining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How frustrating, hopefully you have found this early enough that an alternative can be put in place before the peas grow much bigger?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Live & learn, eh?

    I'm still thinking about this for this year - whether to try to replace/suppliment the sisal with the peas in situ - which sounds difficult, OR to firefight & do running repairs through the summer.

    Not a great choice, frankly.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...