Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Buckets of Tomatoes pt2

Everything is looking pretty good at the Hill – although its been cooler today, I went to water the tomatoes this evening, & did a little light weeding.

Back home, I planted the remaining tomatoes out in buckets, & very smart they look too.

And in order that they stay looking good, I popped some fleece over the bare earth in the buckets in order to stop the cats thinking they have been provided with new deluxe facilities, although they may feel that the fleece makes a comfortable bed – I’ll have to keep my eye on them, I think!

4 comments:

  1. don't know abut your patch, but I have bucket loads of weeding to do. This warm weather has brought on the chickweed, dandelion and dock a treat! Great to hear you have your tomatoes in. Do you really have a risk of frost there still?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pity I don't have hens yet because there's a great deal of chickweed here for them to eat.

    Good idea covering your buckets, I was thinking of doing similar to the first couple of raised beds until I get them planted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure that we're safe here in the Midlands now, Matron - I would guess at being frost free from mid May.

    Chickweed would run riot here too, if left unchecked!

    You have the option of covering your beds with weed surpressent and planting through, Bilbo (much depends on what you have planned, of course) - it would certainly keep moisture in and weeds down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Hazel, in truth, I hate seeing flowerbeds that have been covered with membrane and planted through although for an 8' x 4' area it would make sense 'cos it would not be permanent.

    Just waiting for a good heavy rain to settle the first two beds then I can plant them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...