Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Paths & Potting Peppers!

A bright & breezy day today – I went to the Hill this evening & saw how much the plot had enjoyed the weekend’s rain & the last few days’ sunshine. The peas are looking particularly good, & the first job was to tie the errant shoots back into the strings.

As I was doing this, Julie (2nd best plot) & son K came down to say hello – she had a handful of sweetpeas, & K trailed behind with some cut foxgloves nearly the same height as him.

He was remarkably patient as we chatted about the pinching-out-beans plan. “I’ve never heard of pinching out beans at 2’ & 4’, either” she admitted, “but it does sound like a good idea, I must say”

I planted out FRENCH BEANS (blauhilde & cherokee trail of tears), & then turned to the side of the plot by neighbour Ted. I pulled up the remaining kale plants – I’d left them to flower for the bees, but they are more or less over now – then I cut down all but the biggest of the flowers from the remaining few parsnip that have run to seed – I’ll try to save this for next year.

With this area clearer, I could continue to lay some weed suppressant & bark chip to make the pathway rather smarter.

I picked some radishes then headed home where I potted the sweet peppers on to their final pots, & sowed some DWARF FRENCH BEANS (delinel & tendergreen) before enjoying the magnificent taste of the first of this year’s new potatoes. Delicious!

3 comments:

  1. Side of the plot looks great, I love bark on paths (with the black membrane under) and that is what I want to do around our beds . . . eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use bark, but it has become a haven for the blackbirds, as they spread it everywhere for me to tidy in the morning. I do not mind as they have probably eaten a few pests along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Tis so neat, Bilbo, although I say so myself!

    Hi Dale, thank you for dropping by! The bark paths may get roughed up by the blackbirds, but I'm not complaining - they are a great deal more welcome than the damn pigeons!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...