Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Redcurrant Mountain!

Another extremely hot & humid day – although no sign of further rainstorms – so I caught the bus up to the Hill & went & reclaimed my bike from the polytunnel.

I had a look at the terrific growth of all the crops – especially the squash plants which are all sending a leading shoot out towards the ends of the beds – & saw the pea pods all swelling nicely.
I picked PEAS (newick & stephens), BROAD BEANS (barry plot 19) & dug another POTATO (dunluce).

Retired Maureen arrived & we set to on her redcurrant bushes – terrific yields on these – & we had a smashing time under the netting chatting on this & that.

We called it a day when Maureen announced it was time to go home for a Pimms, & so I have masses of jewel-like redcurrants (weighed later at 14lb!), & I sent her on her way with a bag of a couple of dozen peas, which didn’t seem like an even swap to me, but there you go.

It took quite a bit of juggling to get everything loaded on the bike & a cautious cycle ride home. It was only when I was coasting down the drive that I realised that I’d forgotten to pick any sweetpeas – so a double bunch next time, I think.

3 comments:

  1. Redcurrants certainly crop generously it seems. My friend Sewali also has pound and pounds to deal with. It's a fruit I've never grown - never really had the room for. Sad, that!

    I suspect I shall soon know what a blackcurrant flavoured egg tastes like though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I saw SewAli's black and redcurrants (and love the glazed earthenware bowls!) - I'm wondering if she'll post up the recipes that she uses...

    Defo a good value-for-space crop - the 14lb of redcurrants came off two plants - about 3' square each. That's enought for 3 batches of wine plus the jelly underway tonight...

    Hadn't though that the eggs taste of what the chooks eat - but it makes sense now I think about it. Best keep them away from the garlic, perhaps...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I've never found the flavour to pass over - I think it's an old wives' tale. One of them found the chunk of garlic in the water - and promptly ate it. No garlic egg - and if THAT doesn't come over, I don't think anything will!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...