Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Summer Evening...

Looking back at the previous couple of years, when it’s come to June, the one job of note is the weeding. Now this year with the beds in place, the job of note is tying things in. Tonight I started with the tomatoes – & pinching out where necessary – then moved on to any straying peas.

As I finished that job, Rhubarb Brian reversed up the track having finished whatever it was that he was up to towards the bottom – it seemed to involve a great deal of sawing – & stopped to ask “is it normal for the runner beans to have flowers starting? They aren’t very tall.” I put his mind at rest there – as I’m sure that’s quite alright – then we had a quick chat about watering in the greenhouse, & off he went.

I weeded the peas (bed c2), dug another POTATO (lady cristl), & picked the first of the BROAD BEANS (barry plot 19) – the pods are about 6” long with the beans inside a little larger than peas – & finished by picking a portion of SWISS CHARD (bright lights).

I was about to head home when cheery Brian & Pauline arrived – they had me in stitches telling me all about their frantic preparations for a family 'do' this weekend, & how events have conspired against them in their effort to get everything done on time.

Pauline concluded “…honestly, I was at my wits end – I was standing in Sainsbury’s staring at all these empty shelves where the cat food should be & I said to the assistant ‘well, I hope that you’re going to come round & explain to my cat why she’s got no food to eat, because I’m bloody well not going to!’”

I was chuckling all the way home.

3 comments:

  1. I guess you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to conclude that you're eating pretty well at Chez Hazel and it's only the beginning of the season! Love seeing what you are doing, gives me some hope, especially as this is just your third summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't chard an unsung hero? We're eating strawbs for breakfast and dinner at the moment too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Bilbo - the beds are working better than I could have hoped - although this winter we are going to have to turn the Group Brain to the problem of the permanent crops (or lack thereof!). I hanker after asparagus for a start!

    I've pulled a face at spinach/chard before now, but I must say that last night's serving was delicious - whether that was because it was steamed & all excess water well-squished out, the youngness of the leaves or the generous knob of butter, I'm not sure!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...