Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Visiting!

Well I have had a super day today!

First up was the return visit to Eva & Sue’s allotments – only about a mile from the Hill – & what an inspiration that was! They have neighbouring full plots – the site is split & their section has about 20 full plots gently sloping down to an access track, with the whole site enclosed by the adjacent gardens.

They made me so welcome & showed me round their impressive plots (Eva had mentioned previously that she’d won best plot last year, & I can see why). They both have a mix of herbs, fruit, veg & flowers, (Eva’s strawberries of particular note, along with Sue’s wonderful herb bed & perennial border), & they use companion planting, netting & weed fabric to good effect.

They both have accessible beds & wide paths – Sue with some paved & stoned, Eva with grass & both with a distinct lack of weeds, I noticed. We had a wander round the site & the girls told me the stories behind the other plots.

I mentioned that I’d had the first of the new potatoes, & Eva said “oh! We are looking forward to digging up the new potatoes next weekend for midsummer – we have them boiled with dill, not mint, & served with herring & schnapps.” Eva is Swedish, & over coffee from flasks & delicious Swedish cake, she told us of their other festivals & traditions – most of which seem to be a thinly veiled excuse for dancing & drinking schnapps, I must say.

All of which gave me a great deal of food for thought as thanked the girls, waved cheerio & went back to the Hill to plant out some LEEKS in the potato bed, & to tackle the front of the plot.

This has been an area wanting attention since I realised that although the six paving slabs afforded excellent access that side of the bed by the road, they didn’t extend far enough towards neighbour Ted’s plot – walking down the path at that side to the front involved a rather larger step than is comfortable.

I forked up all the daffodil & tulip bulbs which would otherwise be in the way of the slabs’ new positions the shuffled them along a bit.

I picked & ate three ripe strawberries then headed home for tea – with new potatoes cooked Swedish style with dill, a fabulous success!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that really does look wonderful (photo 1). Glad you had such a lovely day, now could you please do a rain dance and send us some much-needed precipitation?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...