Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Well, That's Alright, Then!

Given my disappointment at the taste of the fresh PEAS (stephens) yesterday, I wondered what I could find out about them – after all, if they were the world’s best mushy peas, say, then they wouldn’t necessarily be good straight from the plant.

I could find very little on line about the variety, but they were offered out by the HSL a couple of years ago, so I dug out the catalogue, which says this about them:

“Originating in Yorkshire this variety looks like a pea but has a flavour similar to runner beans. This tall (2m) vigorous variety produces bi-colour purple & maroon flowers followed by purple pods”

Well then – I made sure that I picked a couple of dozen when I cycled to the Hill this evening, & cooked them for about 5 minutes for tea. They redeemed themselves once on the plate – although they did have a greenish-grey colour on the plate (as noted in a comment by Matron), they tasted pretty damn fine – but nothing like runner beans as far as I could tell.

I also picked some BROAD BEANS (barry plot 19) & some sweet peas before wandering down to the bottom of the plot – rhubarb Brian is on holiday for a couple of weeks, & invited me to help myself to the enormous quantity of tayberries that are just coming ripe. Hurrah!

It was the work of a minute to fill a large freezer bag – & they are in the fridge whilst I ponder jam making…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...