Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Monday, July 20, 2009

Uh-oh

That dicey dark brown patch on the tomatoes that I saw on Saturday & I idly wondered if it was blight? It has spread to virtually all the stems & lower leaves of all the tomatoes. Bugger.

I called a hasty conference between David-other-half & wood-chippings-man (called Paul, it turns out) who were both in evidence at the Hill to discuss what they thought the problem was, & if I could do anything about it.

“Perhaps it’s a deficiency of some sort – what are you feeding them” asked woodchippings Paul, rather optimistically.

“Um, well I haven’t really except for the feed they’ve got from feeding the pumpkin”, I had to admit.

“Well I had brown patches on the tomato leaves & I’ve sprayed them & they haven’t got any worse – in fact they have good new growth,” offered David. “Mind you, they didn’t look like yours do” he added, rather unhelpfully.

We agreed a plan of action which involved removing the affected leaves – maybe up to half of the total – & giving the plants a really good spray of dithane, & to see what happens, which is rather less brutal than my original ‘killer secateurs’ idea.

Now thoroughly worried about the potatoes – what looked like dying down on Saturday now looks more sinister to my eye – I went on a wild dithane spraying frenzy of those too & just hope that I’ve done enough…

5 comments:

  1. gulp - hope you identify the problem, isn't it too early for tomato blight? (there, shows how little I know)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bu@@er! I think I have a couple of tell tale sign leaves on my potatoes. I'm kind of resigned to the fact that I'll get blight at some time or other every year :-( Hey- ho, onwards and upwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wondered if this website might help you with your tomato problem?

    http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/publications/tomatoproblemsolver/leaf/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know the books say that blight is more likely to be a problem in August, Bilbo, but the conditions have been spot on for it to strike - humid, damp, warm.

    Lets face it, if one person inadvertantly spreads spores around from last year (composting blighty haulms or tubers) at Hill and has it, we'll all get it, so I guess it's not a surprise when the conditions are right.

    I would have thought that you were more immune in your potager, Clare, but then again, if the conditions are right...

    Thank your for dropping by OMAB, and for that most informative link! When it finally stops raining, I'll post a pic of one of my tomato leaves (that I whipped off the plant last night) and compare and contrast on here - just looking at the pics tho', mine's a deadringer for 'late onset blight'...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...