Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Thursday, August 06, 2009

Show Preparations IV

...and tonight it has been the turn of the Class 68 (marble cake) - which unlike previous years does seem to have turned out ok at the first time of asking - well, it's not going to be done again, anyway.

I had a slight crisis with the shallots earlier - I know that I haven't got very many good ones to make up a plate of ten, but when I'd finished trimming & tying them to get them ready, I found that I only have nine plus a runty one.

Must have a rummage in the basket to try to find a tenth that will look a bit more the part. I know that these aren't show winners, however I don't want them to be embarrassing either...

On a different note, I was looking at the achocha plant earlier admiring the fruit, when it struck me that I could enter three of them in the collection Class 1 - which says 'any other vegetable not in the schedule, no more than three of each'. However, given that I suspect only about three other people at the Hill have even heard of achocha, it might be an exoticsism too far for the judges.

I'll think about it.

3 comments:

  1. Go for it Hazel. Bring Achocha to the Midlands!

    Sounds like you've plenty of classes to enter - I hope to read good news soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been watching all your preparations, sorry not to have commented.

    Very best of luck at the show, you've worked so hard you deserve to have all your efforts recognised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, both - still haven't decided about achocha for the collection - I'll have to put a label on if I do put them in!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...