Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Communication Breakdown!

When I went to the Hill on Sunday, John Badger again asked me to pick the grapes on the vine in his greenhouse so I can turn them into wine. I again said that I'd be glad to when they are ripe.

"But they've been ripe for ages - if you don't get a move on they'll be over!" he insisted.

"But they're still bright green - not a hint of purple - nowhere near ripe," I puzzled.

"What are you talking about? They are really ripe & sweet - they are GREEN GRAPES, you daft beggar!"

Ah.

So I cut all the bunches of grapes into a big bag & then back home I picked & sorted all the grapes & have put them in the freezer for the moment, a wine session pending.

5 comments:

  1. 'the hill' - I love the name of your allotment :o) I have another friend who refers to their allotment in London as 'the field'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I have visions of these grapes having been on the vine for so long that they are full to bursting with sugar just waiting to become full-strength alcohol! Suspect you are on your way to making some evil Falling Down Water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, well, I'll know for next time - but I thought he might have said too, Flum!

    Now you know why it takes longer to cycle to the allotment than it does to cycle home, Nic!

    Making wine from grapes is new territory, Bilbo, so who knows how it will turn out? Mind you, people might expect it to actually taste like, well, wine!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...