Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Amateur Seville Orange Marmalade

I spotted some Seville oranges in the supermarket a week or two ago, so I bought a bag & popped them in the freezer until I could find the time to have a go at making marmalade.

And I had time earlier this week, so out with the maslin pan & the recipe book & away we went. Of course I have only made marmalade once before, a couple of years ago & it was okay, but not exactly what you might call expertly set. No matter, it tasted nice.

One sticky kitchen later I have eight-and-bit jars of marmalade & happily, this batch tastes just good as last time - & the good news is that the set is rather better.

However those with sharp eyes will spot that the peel is not distributed what you might call terribly evenly, & is all nestling near the tops of the jars, despite leaving the marmalade for twenty minutes to 'rest' in order to avoid precisely this phenomenon.

Next go in a couple of years, I guess!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regardless of whether the peel is evenly distributed - what does it taste like (and don't say "marmalade"!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the flavour that counts. I'd just stir it when I open the jar.

    You've reminded me that I've got some in the freezer too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making marmalade this time of year! The flavour is just wonderful and I bet yours will be too! Any excuse to eat hot buttered toast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To say that it tastes 'orangy', does not do it justice, Bilbo - it tastes ORANGY!

    I can see you with a marmalade session soon too, then, Flum.

    Mmmm - buttered toast, Matron, yum yum! Also marmalade sandwiches, marmalade cake, marmalade pancakes....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...