Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Monday, May 17, 2010

Rhubarb Wine - Day 7 to 14

With the wine in the bucket having calmed down somewhat from it's wild frothing earlier in the week, it's a safer bet now that it can be transfered into a sterilised demijohn without fizzing up & out through the airlock.

It's worth checking the SG at this point - it will have dropped fairly dramatically.

The reading for this batch has fallen from 1086 to 996, which means that in the space of a week, the sugary rhubarb juice has fermented into something opaque containing 12% alcohol, & it is still working away.

(I know this because the difference in the start & finish SG readings divided by 7.36 gives the percentage of alcohol)

The lower the SG at the end of the ferment, the drier the wine will be, & I think that this batch will end up rather sharp if I leave it as it is, so I added 2oz sugar to the bucket (watch it FIZZZZZZZZZZZZ!) & gave it another stir.

I then poured it into a demijohn (use a funnel) & fitted an airlock (half fill airlock with water) - actually, with rhubarb wine being so exuberent, I used two demijohns, half in each.

The wine will finish fermenting soon - it gets to a point where level of alcohol is too high for the yeast to survive - so when there are no more bubbles moving in the airlock, it can be put in a cool room where it will start to clear.

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous colour isn't it? I love a 'sharp' wine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a fabulous colour, sadly my rhubarb refused to turn pink this year lol
    I stumbled here looking for allotment blogs. What a lovely site you have *Smiles*

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! I remember my Dad used to make wine when I was growing up. What a brilliant colour! Look forward to seeing your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you'd all stop telling me what a great colour the rhubarb wine is - now I've come over all guilty & have to confess to the addition of some left over redcurrants from the freezer.

    I wasn't going to mention it, as it would only confuse the step-by-step of wine making, which is the point of this series of posts, but you clever lot have found me out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for dropping by, Dee! I love to have a wander through blogs linked from blogs linked from blogs - I have to leave a trail of crumbs so I can get back!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...