Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Monday, July 19, 2010

Days of Plenty!

Looking at this little lot, it occurs to me that I have possibly got too many COURGETTE plants on the go.

Interestingly, I have the plants that the very pale green courgettes were cut from down in my notes as 'black beauty' - I think not, black beauty are glossy dark green.

No worries, though, not only do I hope to make courgette chutney, but I think that size of the courgette mountain might allow me to make an experimental batch of courgette wine.

In fact, I had a wine racking session last night - the strawberry in particular is remarkably promising. With each of the two REDCURRANT & two BLACKCURRANT bushes yielding 2lb of currants each (now in the freezer), I have the next two fruit wines lined up too.

I also dug up the GARLIC bulbs this week - they are fabulous & all I have to do is put a few matching ones on one side for the Show (approaching fast!) before plaiting the rest to hang up to store in the garage.

No vampires round here!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Hazel and Jane, great lotty blog! :) Just got my new lotty, can't wait til next year now. Hope you don't mind me addin you to my fav links.

    All the best with your harvest, Craig.
    www.dykesedge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite courgette glut recipe is chocolate courgette cake. I'll dig it out if you're interested.

    PS I think the wine will lack flavour and body - they're mostly water!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for dropping by, Craig - good luck with your new plot (love the picket fence!)

    Suggest that you buy some plug plants of brassicas and leeks to bung in now for first harvest in the Spring.

    Thanks for emailing the choc courg cake recipe, Flum. I suspect you're right about the wine - CJJ has oranges, lemons & root ginger his recipe - presumably to give it a bit of pep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know about the courgette wine but have just had some Redcurrant Jelly from Nic@nipitinthebud and it was amazing, so perhaps you could add that to the recipe list?

    Was going to dig up the garlic but it's so wet . . . same for the shallots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have a couple of jars of redcurrant jelly left from last year that I must use before making more, Bilbo - although with the amount of redcurrants in the freezer, I will have enough to make another batch (as well as wine) in due course.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...