Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Summertime...


... and the picking is eaaaaaaaasy.

What is really good about Summer is not just that there are zillions of yummy things growing and ready for picking, but that aren't many horrible jobs that you should be doing.

Apart from some weeding (easy peasy in the raised beds), it's courgettes, lettuce, dwarf beans, broad beans, and carrots all the way. Hurrah!

And when I'm taking a breather from that lot I can stuff my face with raspberries - the summer ones have come to an end now, just as the Autumn ones are kicking in.

Mind you, what will be a horrible job (as it involves netting) to be done soon will be to clear the pea wigwams and broad beans so that I can get the brassicas planted out from where they are in the nursery bed.

I'm having a bit of a dither about that as I'm not sure how soon I can take the pods from the (dead) pea plants that I am saving for seed for next year. Advice welcomed on that one.

The french beans win the prize for the most generous croppers at the moment - even above the courgettes - I picked half a carrier bag full again this evening. And where they win over the courgettes is that they freeze wonderfully too - with a quick snip to top & tail and then they are lined up like soldiers in small bags to freeze.

Fabulous!

4 comments:

  1. I let mine dry as long as I can on the vine then finish off indoors on newspaper. I don't mind leaving them (as long as it's not too rainy) because I put my brassicas in the early spud area.

    I only cut off the bit where it's attached with a bean - I leave the tails on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressed with your harvests. Producing stuff all here this year (apart from stuff in the greenhouse).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I'm looking for the answer to the question 'what is mature enough' in the case of peas, Flum - I think if the plant looks dead, then I'm safe to remove the pods for further drying in the attic room.

    Oh - we've forgotton all about the Strawberries already, have we, Bilbo...? Oh - and do I recall garlic bulbs too...? {gg} I also know already that I will be jealous of your tomatoes - my six plants in buckets not likely to be nearly enough...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is cropping like mad this time of year! beans and courgettes galore!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...