Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Summer's Here!

I bet you thought I'd fallen down a rabbit hole never to be seen again!  No, indeed not.

And I have been diligently gardening, even if I have not been diligently blogging. Tut tut!

So when you lot last metaphorically joined me at the Hill, you were admiring my newly planted out peas and broad beans, waiting for me to plant out my french and runner beans, and were watching me eat my first delightful spear of asparagus.  Yum.

So, during June, I have sneaked a little more asparagus (best not to overcrop); planted out my celeriac, squash and courgettes;






erected the bean frame and planted out all the beans;



watched the broadies and peas flower and yield pods;








planted out the tomatoes in the courtyard garden into their buckets, and watched everything grow like billy-o.

The weather has had a bit of a rush to the head with proper wall-to-wall hot July sunshine which is set to last, and the plot loves it.

And I have just started to pick lettuce, peas and broad beans - and tonight the first bunch of sweet peas, I love them!








It's not just been me gardening - we had a Work Party at the site at the weekend which involved all pitching in to spruce things up ready for the judging of the Best Allotment Site in Birmingham.  We hope to defend our crown!

And my fellow plotholders continue to make it a pleasure to be there - long my it (and this glorious Summer) continue!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, everything just loves the warm sunshine and is growing by the foot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, isn't it, Matron? I hope Leo is enjoying his private pool!

      After looking at your summer pudding, I'm looking forward to my currant harvest this weekend...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...