Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

A New Neighbour and Final Bed Prep

The Spring equinox at the weekend means that at last the days are now longer than the nights, and with warmer weather (and the pigeons at home making eyes at each other), it definitely feels Spring is Springing.

The seeds that I sowed last month agree, with the sweet peas and leeks both putting in an appearance - just - the microscopic dot here is a leek seedling.  They have been sown in pots and in the shelter of the mini greenhouse for almost four weeks before sprouting, which just goes to show that that Mother Nature will get on with things in her own sweet time.

I dithered whether to get the spuds in the ground or not this weekend; however, they are due to go into the two beds at the front of the plot which are currently clogged up with two daleks, one cage over the kale and one newly robust netting tunnel protecting three cabbage plants - so there is a bit of a backlog of stuff in the way before the spuds can go in.

So when I arrived at the Hill on Sunday, I moving the cage, and the netting to one site, and got to work with the fork and three-pronged cultivator.  I chatted to my enthusiastic new neighbour Zoe who gardens for a living, but is not so experienced with fruit and veg.

Neat Neighbour John, Novice Neighbour Jody and then Jody's Mate Shaun have all left plot 17a in good shape, and now Gardener Zoe has custody of the front of that half plot to make of what she will.

Once I'd finished going over the beds, I hoed in some blood, fish and bone which should give the cabbages a boost, and made a start on tidying up the flower border at the front of the plot, which is prone to weeds.

Time running out - although not daylight this time - I tidied up and went to pick some kale.  It's just starting to bolt now, so snapped off the flower heads off to take home for tea - and hope that it will throw some side shoots in time for my next visit too.

4 comments:

  1. Aha, busy again and how lovely just coming into spring, although I do like autumn with all the lovely colour on the trees. I expect we should see lots of veg in summer, so take care for now and enjoy the prettiness of spring for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blossom is just breaking on the cherry trees here, Sue - it certainly lifts the spirits. Mind you, shocking weather today - the forecasters were right !

      Delete
  2. Your plot is so neat and tidy. I'm looking forward to seeing a photo of it "in full swing"

    Jealous of your leeks - I went into my blow away yesterday to find all the seedlings upturned and all over the ground. Back to square one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is bad luck, Mina - even though you're having to start again, at least they won't take too long to germinate now, My blowaway is anchored firmly with bungies to eyelets drilled in the garage outer wall. Having said that, I'm sure that the squirrel goes in to have a look inside. If I catch him upending my pots there will be trouble!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...