Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, March 08, 2015

Seeds, Shallots and the Storeshed

I spent a very happy evening this week in the kitchen surrounded by pots, seed packets, trays and a bag of compost starting off the first seeds to put in the mini greenhouse.  I now have a large flowerpot sown with leeks, twelve pots of sweetpeas, and three trays of fifteen pots of crimson flowered broad beans.

Before I started, rather than my default setting of sowing a tray of fifteen pots (or multiples thereof) of each seed regardless of what the seed are and how many I would like , I actually spent some time thinking ahead and working out how many plants that I actually want to have to plant out.in a couple of months, and sowed accordingly. Gosh - how organised am I! 

Today at the Hill - in the drizzle - I raked and raked one of the beds which has had one of the compost daleks emptied on it and cleared some rough twiggy leftovers until it looked a bit more respectable, then planted out half a bed of shallot sets.

I picked some kale, and then set about trying to find a committee member to sell me a couple of scoops of fertiliser from the store shed, but with no luck - because of the drizzle, I guess, I had the whole site to myself.  

The club house was open, however, so I had a look in there too, but there were no plotters in evidence.  Mind you, it was a good excuse to have a swift half pint before coming home to change out of my damp clothes.

2 comments:

  1. You certainly sound organised this year and look forward to following your progress. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell ya, I surprise myself, sometimes! :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...