Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Sowing in pots #2

Due to the fact that I used rather aged seed when I sowed tomatoes, sweet peas, lettuce, brassicas and peppers last month, the success rate has not been what you might call phenomenal. In fact, although the lettuce and brassicas have all come good, only one batch of three lots of sweetpeas are up, and none of the tomatoes or peppers.

So I had a seed clearout (most were dated about 2010), and bought some fresh from Wilko.  The varieties might be a bit 'everyday', but at least they should actually grow.

Last night I sowed the new tomato seeds, climbing and dwarf beans, runner beans, squash and courgette.  Then I had a grand sweep up - amazing how far round a kitchen a bag of compost can get!

4 comments:

  1. Was the compost assisted in its travels by your little furry helpers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough, the kitchen was a no-go zone for the hooligans whilst I worked!

      Delete
  2. How lovely that you are writing again. We have missed you. Keep all your allotment news coming. Thanks Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to be a bit more disciplined about making entries this year - but who knows how long that will last?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...